North Central Florida Job Market Update | July 2023

In July, the Florida unemployment rate increased by 0.1% to 2.7%, leaving 295,000 unemployed Floridians out of the total labor force of 11,081,000. Additionally, Florida’s seasonally adjusted total nonagricultural employment was 9,771,600, an increase of 44,500 jobs, or 0.5%, over the month. The state gained 300,600 jobs over the year, an increase of 3.2%. Nationally, the number of jobs rose by 2.2% over the year.

Major Industry Job Growth In Florida

  • Education and health services (+89,800 jobs, +6.4%)
  • Leisure and hospitality (+53,200 jobs, +4.2%); 
  • Trade, transportation, and utilities (+46,300 jobs, +2.4%) 
  • Professional and business services (+45,400 jobs, +2.8%)
  • Total government (+23,600 jobs, +2.2%)
  • Manufacturing (+13,700 jobs, +3.3%) 
  • Financial activities (+12,500 jobs, +1.9%)
  • Construction (+7,800 jobs, +1.3%)

Lowest Unemployment Rate in Florida by County

  • Miami-Dade County and Monroe County had the state’s lowest unemployment rate of 1.9%
  • Followed by Okaloosa County, St. Johns County, and Gulf County, which had a steady unemployment rate of 2.7%
  • Then, Bay County, Wakulla County, and Walton County had an unemployment rate of 2.8%

North Central Florida Labor Numbers

Locally, in Alachua County, the labor force, or the number of individuals employed and seeking employment, in July was 145,547, while employment in the county was 140,659, compared to the June labor force of 144,655 and the employment level of 139,959. In the same month, Gainesville’s unemployment rate increased to 3.4%, with the employment level increasing by 4,888.

Many job opportunities are available throughout the state, with more than 409,000 jobs posted online! We encourage Floridians searching for new job opportunities to visit our network at CareerSource North Central Florida for help. If you want to learn more about available jobs in the North Central Florida area, email