North Central Florida Job Market Update | August 2023

In August, Florida’s unemployment rate remained at a low of 2.7%, with 9,778,000 total jobs in the state. Over the month, Florida saw an increase in job growth by 0.1%, adding 14,600 new jobs, while over the course of 2023, job growth increased by 2.8%, adding a total of 270,300 new jobs throughout Florida. Florida is ranked #3 for its overall nonagricultural employment over-the-year growth rate and is tied with Arkansas, Kansas, and Rhode Island for the 13th lowest unemployment rate among all states. 

State vs. National Unemployment Rates

The national unemployment rate, 3.8%, rose by 0.3% over the month, but from August 2022, the rate was little changed. In total, 27 states had unemployment rates lower than the U.S. figure of 3.8%, two states and the District of Columbia had higher rates, and 21 states had rates that were not appreciably different from those of the nation.

Florida Private-sector Industries Gained the Most Jobs in August

  • Trade, Transportation, and Utilities with 8,300 new jobs
  • Education and Health Services with 6,400 new jobs
  • Leisure and Hospitality with 2,300 new jobs

North Central Florida Labor Numbers

Locally, in Alachua County, the labor force, or the number of individuals employed and seeking employment, in August was 144,854, while employment in the county was 140,013, compared to the July labor force of 145,326 and the employment level of 140,473. In the same month, Gainesville’s unemployment remained at a low of 3.3%.

Many job opportunities are available throughout the state, with more than 424,000 jobs posted online! We encourage Floridians searching for new job opportunities to visit our network at CareerSource North Central Florida for help. If you want to learn more about available jobs in the North Central Florida area, email [email protected].