Gainesville Career Center Career Fair, 2018
March 19, 2019 (Gainesville, Fla.) – CareerSource North Central Florida Executive Director Frank Avery announced that both Alachua and Bradford counties continued to drop with a regional unemployment rate of 3.8 percent, which is .1 percent lower than last year’s regional rate. Alachua County’s unemployment rate was 3.8%. Bradford County’s unemployment rate was 3.7%. The regional labor force was 148,597, an increase of 1,625 in the last year, and the total number of unemployed residents in Alachua and Bradford counties was 5,573 according to the Department of Economic Opportunity.
In January, CareerSource North Central Florida assisted 342 businesses for hiring 526 positions. Meanwhile, the Gainesville and Starke career centers assisted 1,562 residents of Alachua and Bradford counties.
The Department of Economic Opportunity released more economic indicators for the Gainesville metropolitan statistical area (MSA), which covers Alachua and Gilchrist counties, including:
- Gainesville MSA had the second fastest annual job growth rate compared to all the Florida metro areas in the information industry with a 6.7 percent increase, and it landed the third fastest annual job growth rate statewide in trade, transportation, and utilities with an increase of 3.8 percent in January 2019.
- In January 2019, nonagricultural employment in the Gainesville MSA was 146,300, an increase of 2,500 jobs (+1.7 percent) over the year.
- The information industry gained 6.7 percent while the trade, transportation, and utilities increased 3.8 percent and the government industries grew 0.7 percent, which is faster in the metro area than the rest of the state for the year.
- The industries gaining in jobs over the year were: trade, transportation, and utilities (+800 jobs); professional and business services (+500 jobs); education and health services (+500 jobs); government (+300 jobs); mining, logging, and construction (+200 jobs); information (+100 jobs); and other services (+100 jobs).
- The manufacturing, financial activities, and leisure and hospitality industries were unchanged over the year.