Gainesville Career Center Career Fair, 2018
November 19, 2018 (Gainesville, Fla.) – CareerSource North Central Florida Executive Director Frank Avery announced that the Alachua and Bradford counties maintained the sixth lowest unemployment rates in the State, both sitting at 2.7% in October 2018. Both rates have dropped 0.6% from last year’s unemployment percentages of 3.3% in Alachua County and Bradford County.
Alachua and Bradford counties unemployment rates are lower than that of the state of Florida (3.0% unemployment) and the national average (3.7% unemployment). Meanwhile, the labor force grew 1.2% over the year to 152,968.
In September, CareerSource NCFL assisted 342 businesses hiring for 572 available positions. CareerSource North Central Florida assisted 2,745 residents of Alachua and Bradford counties thought its Gainesville and Starke career centers.
The Department of Economic Opportunity also provided more economic indicators for the Gainesville metropolitan statistical area (MSA), which covers Alachua and Gilchrest counties, including:
- In October 2018, nonagricultural employment in the Gainesville MSA was 147,400, an increase of 2,800 jobs (+1.9%) over the year.
- The professional and business services industry grew faster in the Gainesville metro area than anywhere else in the state year-over-year with another 1,200 jobs.
- The industries gaining in jobs over the year were: professional and business services (+1,200 jobs); education and health services (+700 jobs); mining, logging, and construction (+500 jobs); trade, transportation, and utilities (+300 jobs); manufacturing (+100 jobs); financial activities (+100 jobs); other services (+100 jobs); and government (+100 jobs).
- The mining, logging, and construction (+9.3%); professional and business services (+8.2%); and government (+0.2%) industries grew faster in the metro area than statewide over the year.
- The leisure and hospitality (-300 jobs) industry lost jobs over the year. Meanwhile, the information industry was unchanged over the year.
- The Gainesville MSA had the third fastest annual job growth rate compared to all the metro areas in the state in professional and business services (+8.2%) in October 2018.